Thursday, August 30, 2007

We are at Esprit ... and having fun

Well folks it is just a little short of a week that we have been gone and thought that it was about time to let you know what we are up . We are hang at Esprit's base camp in Davidson, Quebec. The tent that we now call home is a two person Mountainn Equipment Co-op jobbie that has two vestibules. Jay goes in one way and I come out the other. The weather has been great most of the time. Several nights have included rain which means rain tumbling onto the tin roof that covers the tent, which is also on a platform. IN total there will be 22 students and several people who will be teaching us, most of whom we've met.

Our days consist of us sitting inside, wishing that we were outside enjoying the warm, sunny afternoons. We've learned all kinds of crazy things related to first aid in a wilderness setting ... what to do when someone trips ands falls all the way up to doing CPR on unresponsive people. We've learned techniques that around taking into account having to wait a long time or having to evacuate them out. All this crazy lingo that makes sense to me but is unfamiliar to most. We get to go outdoors every hour or two for a scenario, where we are either the victim, the rescuer or the helper. This seems to be a much better way to learn.

Supper await me - the food is awesome, pretty much a BBQ each night. I"ll post this despite the fact that it isn't finished. The interenet is sporadic so I';m taking advantage while I can. Hope you like it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey you two, I am glad I found this site from your facebook, looking forward to reading up on your adventures...take care of eachother
love
Emily Geertsema

Cor said...

Hi Jason and Angela
Just got back from the Nahanni. The guide was very familiar with Esprit - says they have a great reputation.
Our guide had a great way of teaching - "just look where you're going and keep your paddle in the water". Makes it sound easy eh? And -
"You guys know EVERYTHING you need to know !!! .... (except what I'm going to teach you tomorrow...)"

Anonymous said...

We miss you guys already!!
Sounds like you are having fun.
Take care and post updates often!!

tam, ian, and karenna

Unknown said...

Angela... are you the only healthcare worker in your group? you may not be too far removed from the healthcare field.

My you be blessed in your adventures....