The five day trip included so much diversity in terrain, weather and activity for the day. They say that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Well that was the motto for this trip in particular. Each day we paddled with different people. We ate like king and queens at the end of some crazy portages. The one day we had two portages that were each ~ 2.5 km and instead of going from beginning to end we leap frogged our gear as far as we could and then went back to the last pieces of gear. We always went back until we were carrying the first aid kit. If you had the first aid kit that meant that you were the end of the trail and everyone could continue to move forward. Another day we paddled ~ 30 km against a strong wind in amazingly warm weather and sunshine. The first night we arrived at 10pm in the dark to the park where you could hear the roar of the rapids butnot see them and the temp. was close to zero that you could see your breath.
We spent one evening with a group of Cree people. They cooked us a traditional meal which included smoked fish. They included a demonstration of how they traditionally catch the fish as well. Once the meal was done we snuggled up together to sleep in a teepee or wigwam. Despite the occasional drips of rain that we felt and the skunk that wandered in during the middle of the night, this accomodation felt like a five star resort.
After I got hit with a food barrel to the mouth I was evacuated (by foot,canoe, motor boat and truck) to the local village. There I was given the most prompt medical treatment I had ever received. I had registered and before I had time to pee and check out my fat lip and gash they had called me into the room. I was stiched up by a nurse. I was kind enough to wait until after he was done to tell him that I was also a nurse. He did an excellent job. Once the freezing was in the only thing I could feel was the pressure as he tied each stich off. The wound is healing well. The medical center was new and the atmosphere that it created was one that was dedicated to thte people they served. It certainly gave me a small taste of what it would be like to nurse up north. I was very impressed and was honoured to be taken such good care of.
![]() |
| Rupert River Trip |

5 comments:
Hey you two. Keep those blogs coming as best you can. Neat to hear about what you are doing and how you are growing in your knowledge and understanding. Blessings as you continue to train and learn and grow together and as a group. We're gearing up for Peru. Got a nurse Angela PTL !! Mrs. Kubanek. VERY happy about that. I'll try to call and leave a nice little message for you sometime soon. Blessings.
Sam
It's great to see that the healing process has made you look beautiful again. Continue to take care of her Jason
What an amazing trip on the Rupert River. We loved looking at the pictures. Keep yourselves safe and we miss you soooo very much!! Love ya! Tam, Ian, and Karenna
Enjoying the pictures and blogs, take care of eachother you two! I still think you are crazy, and keep you in my prayers and close to heart.
Warm hugs
Emily
Awesome pictures you guys!! We miss you! Enjoy this crazy adventure!!
Post a Comment